Charities and Community Services
LOCAL GOVERNMENT IS IN FAVOUR OF CONTAINER DEPOSIT LEGISLATION
Results of a survey of metropolitan Councils by Recyclers of South Australia Inc and KESAB strongly indicated that a majority favour the retention and extension of Container Deposit Legislation.
Questionnaires were sent to 18 Councils and of the 11 who responded, all were in favour of Container Deposit Legislation as a litter retardant.
Seven Councils said that they believed CDL should be extended to new style containers which were contributing to litter.
Local Government supports CDL because it provides benefits to Councils, including:
- Cost savings through reduced labour for cleaning up roadsides, parks and beaches
- Reduction in operating costs through diversion from land fill
- Reduces the amount of waste being deposited into rapidly depleting landfill sites
- It has enabled South Australia's recycling rates to far exceed ANZECC targets, resulting in a much cleaner environment.
- It has enabled contamination free product to be delivered for recycling